Michigan
August 2013
I have no idea why I didn't post about this trip months ago? It was our 2nd time visiting Grand Island in Lake Superior. Our 1st trip was with cousin Matt back in September 2011. I can honestly say that we found a piece of heaven on earth. Grand Island has northwoods, sea cliffs, miles of trails that are wide and nicely cleared, beautiful campsites, it's cut off from cell towers and the island has more bears than people. My first concern in taking Kellisa to such a remote location is to have a plan if she has a significant seizure. I start with a hope and prayers and after that I make sure I have her rescue medications. My only other concern other than coming across a psychopath is an unexpected encounter with a bear and we make sure to keep a clean camp to cut down on the odds.
Kellisa loving the mildly rough boat ride to the island:
A quick fill up before we start hiking to find a campsite:
Looking back to the mainland:
The old roads are absolutely perfect for hiking with Kellisa:
The trails have enough elevation changes (up to 300ft.) to get the heart pumping. Looking down on mighty Lake Superior:
Duck Lake:
Kellisa signing "no" about the first campsite we checked out. I was fine with it since the next site was over a mile away and I was doing all the pushing and carrying.
On we went to find another campsite:
After 4.85 miles of hiking, we found the perfect beach campsite that would be our home for the next two nights:
Views from "our" home:
During our first night, my 2nd to worst fear was realized. Despite locking all of our smells in a bearproof container away from our campsite, I was woken up from my deep sleep by a large grunt. All of a sudden, the thin fabric of the tent that offered a sense of security didn't seem like enough of a barrier between us and a hungry bear. I was paralyzed with fear. I was trying to think of a plan. I didn't really want to wrestle with a bear and I knew I should make loud noises to scare the bear away, but I remained silent. I was hoping it would just go away.
Then I heard another enormous grunt and it seemed to be only inches from my head. I knew it might be close to "go time" and I started to feel around in the dark for my knife, the only protection I had with me. It didn't even the odds, but I felt like I might have a slight chance. Before I could find the knife, I heard another grunt and this time I realized it was Kellisa snoring...she has sleep apnea. Able to move more freely, I turned on a light and watched Kellisa just to be sure it was her and when she let out another grunt, I was satisfied. I'd like to say I was relieved, but I was so scared that relief wouldn't be had until the sunrise a few sleepless hours later.
The next morning:
The bearproof container:
Looking back to our campsite from the bear box:
Gathering Lake Superior water:
We went for a nice long and leisurely hike:
300ft. above Lake Superior at a viewpoint of the bay with "our" beach:
Shortly after arriving back at our campsite, I was gathering some firewood when a man appeared out of nowhere. He looked like he belonged, so I wasn't too afraid. We exchanged hellos and when he asked how many people were camping at my campsite I knew we were in trouble. Grand Island limits were you can camp and it also allows a maximum of two tents and six people per site per night. It was late in the afternoon and I knew he was looking to share a site.
My hesitation in answering told him that he wasn't welcome and before I could say anything, he started pleading, "my daughter and I kayaked to the island and this is the third and final site on the bay and I didn't think my daughter can make it to another site".
How could I say no to a father and daughter? I couldn't since I could relate. I'm not a horrible person, but I had a picture of this guy and a few friends with a cooler of beers laughing and being annoying into the middle of the night ruining our wilderness experience and any chance of sleep.
Kellisa wasn't visible and I explained that they were welcome as long as they were quiet and let Kellisa get her sleep. He agreed and promised they wouldn't make noise. By the sincere relief on his face, I knew this would work out just fine. I like to keep karma on my side because someday it might be me pleading for a campsite.
Kellisa loved having the extra company, especially a young woman who was super cool in her eyes. They both talked to Kellisa and treated her like she was normal. I always say that the people you meet in the wilderness accept Kellisa for who she is a millions times better than the average person on the street or in a mall.
It turns out that the daughter was getting married soon and this would be the last father-daughter trip for our new friends. They were genuine people and I have to admit that it was fun hanging out with them around the campfire even after Kellisa went to sleep.
It hit home hard that Kellisa and I would never have a last father-daughter trip before she got married.
Sharing our site:
We enjoyed an amazing sunset together:
Our last morning on the beach:
Kellisa posing with our campsite mates:
Hiking back to the dock:
The boat ride was just as fun returning to the mainland:
Especially the hard landing:
The eastern portion of Grand Island from a viewpoint on the mainland:
The Marquette Mining Journal ran a front page Sunday article about our trip: Outside the Limits.


Comments
Post a Comment