Mississippi
January 2014
Steep trails and waterfalls do exist in southwestern Mississippi at Clark Creek Nature Area. Scattered throughout only 700 acres, the park has approximately 50 waterfalls, some over 30 feet in height. Our plan was to hike the trails and see as many waterfalls as possible. As soon as we arrived, I removed Kellisa's Freedom Push Chair from it's travel bag and found that it wasn't unfolding properly. After inspecting the chair, I found that the frame was broken. I'm sure the airline stacked (or threw) heavy luggage on top of Kellisa's chair and snapped the frame. We had Kellisa's travel wheelchair, but I knew it wouldn't work on the trails. I decided to try the trails anyway by holding the area of the break with my hand to try and give the chair some stability. It wasn't easy and it definitely wasn't comfortable, but we did manage to hike exactly 1 mile. Unfortunately, we did not hike far enough to see any waterfalls, but we did get a feel for the steep terrain. This is a place where we will definitely return some day!
Just .26 of a mile from the trailhead, we came to these stairs. I carried Kellisa down and then made a second trip with her chair.
On our way back to the car, we found this steep side trail that went around the stairs.
Jerky, cheese and crackers snack back at the car.
Comments
Post a Comment